2018 Christmas Kumite Saturday Dec. 8th
- Doors Open 8:30 AM
- Black Belt Meeting 10:00 AM
- Photos with Santa 10:00 AM
- Tournament Starts 10:30 Sharp!
- Top 4 places in Black Belt Divisions qualify for WKC National Championships
Norwin Ninja Demo set up a profile and then select division N-1 to sign up for the free demonstration. You can also purchase spectator tickets here if you wish.
CHRISTMAS KUMITE RULES
*rules are subject to change, please check with center judge for any updates.
- RANK: Novice, Intermediate, Advanced, Black Belt.
- RINGS: Matted area for divisions
- JUDGES: All divisions have the option to use 3 or 5 judges.
- MAXIMUM DEVIATION: (only used with a 3-judge panel) .02 is the maximum deviation permitted from the “middle score.” This eliminates the impact of one judge altering the outcome of the entire division. This theory has been tested and utilized in national and international events.
- TIES: Broken by head-to-head comparison scores of each individual judge (treated as votes). The majority of votes (higher individual preliminary scores) will break the tie if possible. If it is a “true tie” (unable to be broken) the competitors will run their form again and judges will point (by show of hands) to the winner. Running a different form is optional and not mandatory.
- PROTESTS: Must be made at the time of the ruling. Protocol is to ask the coordinator/scorekeeper to alert the center referee. If the situation requires further investigation the ruling can be arbitrated.. All decisions by the arbitrator are final. *Protests can only be made by someone with an official coaches pass.
- UNIFORM: All competitors must wear a martial arts uniform with no foul or offensive language.
- AGE: Competitors must compete their age as of the tournament date December 2nd 2018.
- SEQUENCE: Luck of the draw is based on a uventex computer lottery when you register. The draw is 100% random and determined by a third-party.
- CLOSED DIVISION: A division is considered closed once the first player bows-in to perform a form or once the first sparring match is started. *Exception: computer-based or staff related errors.
- RESTARTS: 1 restart is permitted for under black belt divisions only. No restarts for black belt divisions *Exception: restart for weapons that break during performance.
- SCORING RANGE: 9.90-10 (black belts) 9.80-9.90 (under black belts)
- TRADITIONAL: No gymnastics, splits, rolls, or creative interpretations. Any traditional uniform with a tie-over-style top is permitted. Patches and/or logos are a non-factor and permitted. A pure white uniform is NOT required, however the uniform should hold true to the standards of the style. Classical Japanese/Okinawan divisions enforce a maximum 4 kiai rule and based on unaltered kata.
- FIRST TIMERS: First timer divisions are for competitors with little to no tournament experience. The purpose it to build self-confidence. All competitors win an award.
Team forms must have a minimum of 2 players. No maximum. The entire team must perform in the “oldest” and/or “highest rank” of any team members. (Therefore teams can “bump up” divisions but not down). Teams may perform kata or weapons. Judges will score on synchronization, technique, intensity and creativity.
SPARRING (POINT FIGHTING)
- UNIFORM: No t-shirts or shorts. No exposed jewelry or metal. No shoes.
- EQUIPMENT: It is MANDATORY for all competitors to provide and wear their own approved sport karate head gear, safety boots, safety gloves, mouth guard, and protective cup (males). Highly recommended but not mandatory: face shields, chest protectors, leg pad, arm pad, elbow pads and knee pads.
- WEIGH-IN: ALL players competing in a weighted division must weigh-in prior to the division (1lb allowance)
- BYES: All byes are randomly selected by computer based lottery. Competitors from the same school (not team) will not be matched in the first round if possible. *optional: logic is followed by same country then state.
- OUT OF BOUNDS: Out of bounds (exit) is when any part of the body touches outside the mat (tatami). No points can be scored out of bounds. Intentional exit or avoiding the fight: 1-point penalty. A contact exit, force-out, or offensive player who steps out due to momentum is not a penalty.
- GROUND FIGHTING: Is not permitted. *Exception:1). All WAKO boot-to-boot sweeps are legal and are scored as 1-point if the opponent is deemed down from the sweep. Momentum contact is not a penalty.
- DOWN BY CONTACT: A player is considered down by contact when any part other than hands/feet are touching the ground [knee, elbow, hip, or backside etc.] after making contact with their opponent. The match is stopped. No Penalty.
- FALLING DOWN: A player is considered “fallen” down if they “intentionally” fall to the ground on their own accord (with or without contact). 1-point penalty by majority judges discretion.
- SCORING TARGETS: Headgear area, face, torso (front/side) with control, light or moderate contact depending on player’s option, skill level, and division.
- POINT TECHNIQUES: All clean martial arts punches, kicks, ridge hands, and back fists that use appropriate contact and form in the designated scoring areas. (Important: a hand or foot that touches the scoring area does not always warrant a point. The technique demonstrate martial arts merit). *This is a subjective matter, similar to umpires calling balls/strikes in baseball. Protests cannot be filed on judgement of points.
- SPREAD: 10-point spread (mercy rule) is in effect.
- SCORING: 1-point: hand techniques and body kicks. 2-points: head kicks and spinning body kicks. 3-points: spinning head kicks, elevated (jump) spinning kicks (including cartwheel kicks). 1-point for sweeps (that cause the other player to go down). *WAKO-style either front leg or rear leg sweeps are permitted. Player with the most total accumulative points after the 2-minute round is the winner. Preliminary tie: Sudden Victory (next point wins).
- Win BY 2: All “first place” matches must have a 2-point spread to determine the winner.
- ILLEGAL TECHNIQUES: Haymaker (swinging/wild punches) with no regard for control, strikes to the groin or throat, uncontrolled, excessive or malicious contact to any area, intentional striking to non-scoring areas (spine, joints, legs etc.), late hits, dropping to the ground to avoid the fight, intentional running out of bounds.LEGAL CONTACT:
- -CONTROL: No touch/pulled (Halo)……
- -LIGHT: Touch…………………………….
- -MODERATE: Slight penetration………..
- PENALTY CONTACT:
- -UNCONTROLLED: Beyond legal contact (majority judges discretion)
- -EXCESSIVE: Extreme penetration (majority judges discretion)
- -MALCIOUS: Intentional excessive contact: Automatic DQ (majority judges discretion).
- PENALTIES: 1-point penalty points: (all infractions based on majority of judges) Uncontrolled contact to any area, intentional running out of bounds, intentionally falling (to avoid the fight), intentional late hits, retaliation hits, unsportsmanlike conduct.
- DQ (Disqualification): is based on the majority vote of the judges (*or if the arbitrator is ringside and witnesses the infraction). Malicious contact is automatic disqualification. Incidental excessive contact, accidental contact and/or self-inflicted injuries that may cause swelling or draw blood are subject to discretion of the arbitrator after consultation with judges. Medical staff has the final say if a competitor can continue or not.
- INJURY: If a player is unable to continue on his own accord or is advised by medical staff to bow out due to incidental contact, accidental contact or self-inflicted injury then his opponent will advance. Players will not advance if they intentionally injure their opponent or use malicious contact.
- CLOCK MANAGEMENT: Black Belts: 2-minute running clock except final 30 seconds (clock is stopped on each “stop” break). Under Belts: clocked on breaks in final 10 seconds. Match over at “0” on scoreboard.
- COACHING: Coaches must wear an official coaches pass (wrist band) that is purchased for $10.00.
(1) Ten-second time out is permitted per match. Coaches must stay within specified coaches box. Only 1 coach per box. Coaching without a wristband is a penalty. The timeout can only be used during standard match breaks (not during the flow of a match). A coach does not have to be a black belt (parents are permitted to coach with a coaches pass. Coaches are only allowed on the competition floor when the specific division is being staged or in progress. No coaches on the floor for forms divisions.
1-Point Kumite SPARRING
All rules of normal point sparring apply with the exception of the winner is determined by the first person to score. All 3 of the judges must be “unanimous” on the score.
TAG TEAM SPARRING
Normal point sparring rules apply. Create your own team, or partner up with a friend(s) from another school. Minimum of 2 players to make a team, maximum of 3 players. 2-minute matches/Total Points. Each time a player scores, the scoring player must tag in a new teammate. If a player is scored on 3 consecutive times, and automatic tag is made. The “switch” or tag only takes place on the call/break by the center judge. 1-time out permitted per team. The team that calls timeout, may make a switch if they choose to.
*Condensed version of the official Kumite PRO-AM rules.
|D-1||all||m/f||all||norwin ninjas demo||3|
|F-1||all||m/f||all||1st Timers Forms||3|
|Division||Ages||Gender||Rank||2 minutes total points||Ring|
|WKC||WKC Qualifier||Black Belt Sparring|
|WKC-1||9-||m||black belt/advanced||Point Sparring||4|
|WKC-2||10-11||m||black belt/advanced||Point Sparring||4|
|WKC-3||12-13||m||black belt/advanced||Point Sparring||4|
|WKC-4||14-15||m||black belt/advanced||Point Sparring||4|
|WKC-5||16-17||m||black belt/advanced||Point Sparring||4|
|WKC-6||9-||f||black belt/advanced||Point Sparring||4|
|WKC-7||10-11||f||black belt/advanced||Point Sparring||4|
|WKC-8||12-13||f||black belt/advanced||Point Sparring||4|
|WKC-9||14-15||f||black belt/advanced||Point Sparring||4|
|WKC-10||16-17||f||black belt/advanced||Point Sparring||4|
|WKC-11||18+||m||black belt/advanced||Point Sparring||4|
|WKC-12||35+||m||black belt/advanced||35+ Point Sparring||4|
|WKC-13||18+||f||black belt/advanced||Point Sparring||4|
|WKC-15||10-||m||all||3 person wkc team||tba|
|WKC-16||11-12||m||all||3 person wkc team||tba|
|WKC-17||13-14||m||all||3 person wkc team||tba|
|WKC-18||15-17||m||all||3 person wkc team||tba|
|WKC-19||10-||f||all||3 person wkc team||tba|
|WKC-20||11-12||f||all||3 person wkc team||tba|
|WKC-21||13-14||f||all||3 person wkc team||tba|
|WKC-22||15-17||f||all||3 person wkc team||tba|
|WKC-23||18+||m/f||all||3 person wkc team||tba|
|o-38||9-||m||black belt||1-point sparring||4|
|o-39||10-13||m||black belt||1-point sparring||4|
|o-40||14-17||m||black belt||1-point sparring||4|
|o-41||9-||f||black belt||1-point sparring||4|
|o-42||10-13||f||black belt||1-point sparring||4|
|o-43||14-17||f||black belt||1-point sparring||4|
|o-48||18+||m||black belt||1-point sparring||4|
|o-49||35+||m||black belt||1-point sparring||4|
|o-50||18+||f||black belt||1-point sparring||4|
|t-7||17-||m/f||jr. bb||Team Forms||1|
|t-8||18+||m/f||all ranks||Team Forms||1|
|t-9||9-||m/f||all (minium of 2 people max of 3)||Tag Team sparring||1|
|t-10||10-13||m/f||all (minium of 2 people max of 3)||Tag Team sparring||1|
|t-11||14-17||m/f||all (minium of 2 people max of 3)||Tag Team sparring||1|
|t-12||18+||m/f||all (minium of 2 people max of 3)||Tag Team sparring||1|
|Grand Champion||9-||m||(Black Belt, Adv, Int)||best of the best sparring||tba|
|Grand Champion||10-13||m||(Black Belt, Adv, Int)||best of the best sparring||tba|
|Grand Champion||14-17||m||(Black Belt, Adv, Int)||best of the best sparring||tba|
|Grand Champion||18+||m||(Black Belt, Adv, Int)||best of the best sparring||tba|
|Grand Champion||9-||f||(Black Belt, Adv, Int)||best of the best sparring||tba|
|Grand Champion||10-13||f||(Black Belt, Adv, Int)||best of the best sparring||tba|
|Grand Champion||14-17||f||(Black Belt, Adv, Int)||best of the best sparring||tba|
|Grand Champion||18+||f||(Black Belt, Adv, Int)||best of the best sparring||tba|